Kamakura Welcome Guide Association (KWGA) is a group of volunteer tour guides for international tourists and is officially recognized by Kamakura City Tourist Association. All the tour guides are deeply attached to Kamakura, and welcome all international tourists by showing warm-hearted hospitality.
We are a group of volunteer guides who are happy to take the time to share our knowledge and experience with you.
With the aim to continue and improve the quality of our services, we incur training, administration and website costs. We would appreciate a contribution of any amount so that we may continue to improve and provide our volunteer guide services. You can give your donation directly to the guide who will give you a receipt on the day of the tour.
- OUR APRIL TOURS HAVE BEEN CANCELLEDDue to the spread of COVID-19 we have cancelled all tours in April: reservation based tours and non-reservation based Friday Free Guided Tour. We will let you know on our website when we will restart our tours again.Those with bookings on and after 1 May should check this website for updates.We are very sorry that these cancellations are necessary.We appreciate your understanding and we wish all our supporters and users 'good health'.
KAMAKURA, the Ancient City of Samurai
The great samurai leader, Minamoto Yoritomo established the samurai government for the first time in Japan's history and placed his headquarters in Kamakura. ・・・ READ MORE
The largest native shrine and one of the most popular tourist destinations in Kamakura. This shrine was founded in 1180 by then shogun Minamoto Yoritomo, who transferred the shrine from Yui-Wakamiya to the present site.・・・ READ MORE
Kotokuin (Great Buddha)
This is a seated statue of Amida Nyorai (designated as a national treasure), one of the biggest Buddha statues in Japan. It is said that the bronze casting started in 1252 and took more than ten years to complete.・・・ READ MORE
Reservation-Based Tour and Non-Reservation-Based Friday-Scheduled Tour
You need to send us an application with specific requests on the tour.
For tour route selection, we offer a Model Tour Course and a Free Tour Course.
・Detailed tour route information
・Application procedures and Terms of service
・Making an application
・Click Making An Application button and follow the directions on the screen.
・Friday-scheduled tours require no application. Detailed tour information
・Please send your application between 3 months and 2 weeks prior to your desired tour date.
・Application procedures and Terms of guide service
・For route selection, we offer Model Tour Course and Free Tour Course. Detailed tour route information
Making An Application
If you find no answers for your specific questions, you can contact us: email@example.com
- Q. How much is the guide fee ?
- A. No guide fee is required. However, you must pay for your
transportation expenses and admission to shrines and temples.
You must also pay for the same expenses for your tour guide(s).
- Q. What is the procedure following my application ?
- A. First, we will inform you that we have received your
Second, we will recruit a tour guide appropriate for your requests. Third, an assigned tour guide will contact you at the email address you specified in your application. If no tour guide contacts you by seven days before your tour date, then your application cannot be met.
- Q. What are the working hours ?
- A. Our working hours are from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The whole tour should take no more than 5 hours excluding lunch break.
Onarimachi 1-12, Kamakura, Kanagawa 248-0012
Kamakura City Tourist Association/Kamakura Welcome Guide Association
The nearest station is JR Kamakura Station West Exit
The office is located on the 4th fl. of the Enoden Building.
TEL 0467-23-3050 (in Japan)
TEL 81-467-23-3050 (from overseas)
Office Hours: 8:30 to 17:15 (Closed at Year End and New Year)